Have you set a full moon intention yet? Do you normally make yourself a promise and not quite fulfill it, to be better or do better at some aspect of your life over the month ahead?
Would you like to know what I do each full moon that leads to great things because it forces me to have my focus in the here and now so I don’t miss the opportunities that come my way?
Anytime is a good time to continue being mindful in all that we do. Being mindful for me means to watch everything that I do and feel and respond to each situation with my full awareness of why I do, think and feel the way that I do, always exercising love and compassion from my heart space.
As part of my morning ritual I ask that my awareness watch over me during the day. I do this by simply making the statement “ I ask my awareness to watch over me today”. (I also ask the same thing before I sleep at night and simply ask “ I ask my awareness to watch over me while I sleep”.)
This statement leads me to complete the following with ease:
- Take responsibility for myself: The feelings that arise are my feelings, not other peoples. I understand that waiting for someone else to change before I can be happy only leads to heartache.
- Be an observer of my emotions: Our emotions are the keys to releasing cell memory from the body. We store emotional memories in the cells of the body. That is how we remember how to do things.
E.g. You know you have hit a tennis ball the right way because it “FEELS” right when the ball and the racquet connect at the right time.
These emotional responses to our environment have been helpful in times of real danger but can be extremely unhelpful when we are not actually in danger but the body is responding as if it is. Unless we catch ourselves before we subconsciously respond, things are said in the heat of the moment or people get hurt by angry outbursts. Becoming the observer means that you become accountable for the role you play in this world and you stop the auto pilot response you have to everything and make new choices about how you actually want to navigate your life. If you have done something one way for ever and it has not been serving you this method will give you plenty of opportunities to make new choices that can lead to new outcomes and you will begin to we write your life in a way you would prefer.
- Understand that where the emotion is in the body is important: The body is a barometer, and emotions are what cause the temperature to rise. These emotions are all stored memories. By noticing where the emotion is stored in your body you are able to set the memory free. Like we discussed in step 2, most of the time these emotional memories are useful, however sometimes they can inhibit your ability to be happy. Remember you always have a choice of how to react to any situation. By acknowledging the emotion you bring new awareness to the whole patters and doing this gives you the opportunity to give it a new meaning and therefore creating a new pattern or ritual.. All emotions tell a story and once you look at the story and give it new meaning by forgiving after having a new way to look at any situation, you will be more likely to move on.
- Find a new meaning: Give the emotion a label. Describe the emotion in a way that you take responsibility for the feeling. Use vocabulary that doesn’t blame other people. E.g. Sad, Angry, Frustrated, Worried, Guilt, Shame, Depression etc.
- Anger – remembering past pain.
- Hostility – anger with resentment / seeking justice (this will hurt you if you hang on to this emotion. It is a very dangerous emotion)
- Fear – anticipation of pain because you have experienced this before.
- Guilt – knowing you have done something that is not in alignment with you integrity. (Also a dangerous emotion if you continue to live out of alignment with your integrity)
Get used to taking responsibility for your own emotions. Remember you are the one having the emotional reaction to what ever the situation is. The only way to change the way you feel about any situation is to change the way you are thinking about the situation.
Knowing that you are feeling a certain way about a situation because of past conditioning is a wonderful way to jolt you into the present moment and look at facts rather than the labels you have given a situation. Remember that feelings are the guidance posts you have a choice on the label you give.
You are in control then, and are able to change your situation.
This conditioning is tricky because until you spend time questioning why you do things the way you do them or why you feel a particular way about things you will run through your life completely oblivious to the fact you are able to choose something different based on facts rather than labels.
I have an example of a situation where I realized that I was suffering conditioning and had never questioned this before.
I was in my late 20’s and I was looking to buy a car. I wanted a convertible as I lived in a warm climate and wanted to enjoy the wind in my hair. At the time there were only 2 cars in my price range that were what I wanted, a Ford Capri and a Holden Astra J
Now if you like me grew up watching Bathurst you would know that your family was totally swayed in one of two directions when it came to cars. Holden or Ford. Now at the time I was looking at these cars to buy, I was not consciously aware of the conditioning that was clouding my decision, but I did notice I was reluctant even angry toward the thought of the Capri. Even though the Capri on a fact basis was a better choice for me at the time.
The more I thought of the Capri the worse I felt and the anger would manifest in me snapping at who ever was talking about the car.
I decided I needed to look at the way I was feeling because my mind was asking me to look closer at the situation even though my body was warning me against the Capri.
When I looked at the feelings and looked at the memories attached to the feelings, I was lead to Bathurst, my cousins and father. All conditioning against Ford. At the time I called myself a car racist, and I was. Now with full knowledge about the origin of the feelings and full awareness about all the facts I was able to look at the situation totally unemotionally and make the right decision for me in that moment.
I chose the Ford and was extremely happy with my choice and when I had to sell the car was very sad to see it go, as it was an excellent car that fulfilled my brief at the time.
This was a spring board for me to begin to look at everything I did and the decisions I made from all angles with my full awareness. Doing this lead me to making a whole lot of completely different decisions based of facts after really exploring the origins of the feelings that were the signs.
This helped me so much and I wanted to share this with you, my hope is that you are able to implement it into your life and see the changes that are possible when your awareness is watching your every move.